My Website has been Hacked, What Should I Do?
The dreaded “This site may be hacked” warning. Very often it is the first evidence of something wrong with your website, and it can be a daunting and stressful time. However if your website has been hacked, you don’t need to panic or worry. Your website can be salvaged and restored and your reputation can be healed. Here’s what you need to do:
- Keep Calm – The first step is to keep calm and seek the assistance of VIP Websites.
- Authorise – You may need to authorise VIP Websites to perform actions on your website, and we will need logins. In most cases we will need WordPress Administrator logins, but sometimes we’ll need extensive logins such as FTP or cPanel.
- Solve – VIP Websites will work with you to develop the best solution for your particular case. Solutions could involve pre-work backups, malware scanning, website blacklist removal, WordPress core/plugins/theme updating and WordPress Hardening just to name a few.
- Leave It To Us – Once we’ve agreed on the best plan moving forward, we will stick to our strengths and get your website back up and running in no time. We’re big on reporting. We will keep you updated along every step of the way, and provide a full report of all problems found and solutions implemented.
How Can My Website Security Be Restored?
This process doesn’t take as much time as you’d imagine it would. There’s a three step process that would have your website up and running in a matter of hours. It’s vital to restore websites as quickly as possible because every minute it’s down, you lose customers and revenue. If your website is hacked, you should work to restore it immediately.
- Website Scan – A website is first scanned to locate where the malware is and identify how far the virus has spread. This scan in very comprehensive and will comb your website carefully to identify every hostile presence.
- Website Clean-up – Once all threats are identified, the website would be cleaned and all threats would be removed. We usually recheck the website to make sure it’s completely bug free.
- Restore – After all the threats have been dealt with, we can easily restore your website with much needed security reinforcements that would keep it healthy and safe for a very long time.
After your website is restored, you need to get serious about security. We can install a full security system in place that would take care of your website on a regular basis and this would include:
- Regular Scans to keep track of any malware and threats that might’ve been introduced to your website.
- The ability to identify any malware or virus, including newly developed threats.
- Ongoing checks to ensure your website isn’t blacklisted by Google and other such engines.
- Ongoing clean-up of malware and viruses.
- Regular reports of work performed, and any website optimisation suggestions.